Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Overcoming with Joy


“And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose”
All Aboard!!

For a moment climb on board the choo choo train and journey with me through this “train” of thinking.


I am in the process of training for a half-marathon. So, the other day I started to incorporate longer distances to my running regime to prepare for the upcoming race.
It was a beautiful morning because the rain was not pouring and the sun wasn’t scorching. The air was fresh and the rural roads were peaceful and quiet. During a portion of my run the wind began to pick up and was strongly coming against me. I began to think about Jesus and how he calmed the storms, how on this earth he had authority over nature and how he has given believers this same authority from the Father to do His works and even greater works. So as I continued to run, I became more and more annoyed by the constant, opposing wind. Having a competitive nature, I want to have a favorable time on my distance run to measure how my running is progressing. Furthermore, running isn’t the funnest activity on the best of days for me, so on this purpose driven, peaceful morning, I wanted to enjoy a freeing, relaxing run as much as possible.
Again, I begin to think of Jesus. Should I command the wind to cease? Should I practice my faith? Use my authority? Why can’t the wind be behind me for once? After I pondered these questions, my mind was quieted and I began to listen. Then I had a new thought. What if the opposing wind isn’t actually a hindrance that is against me? What if God has ordained it in this moment as a help? But, Lord, how could running into a robust wind on a peaceful morning be helping me? It’s a nuisance, it’s annoying, it’s uncomfortable and my aim is to be quick.


In that moment, with this new thought, I was granted a new perspective. The wind against me is a help because training to run against it can only make me stronger. [New mindset]. Now not only was the wind present to help strengthen me mentally and physically as I run against it, this opposing wind had now turned into a joy. I am no longer experiencing the strong wind as an enemy but as an opposing force for my benefit. I can now take great delight in this growth opportunity, I am rejoicing in the Lord for the wind that is making me stronger. As I was running, I was laughing out loud and I was full of joy because the once spurned wind, has now turned into a welcomed opposition. All things work together for my good because He ALWAYS causes us to triumph.


Could it be that the challenges that we are currently encountering in this life are not there to hinder our lives but to help us? Is it possible that continuing to evaluate our thinking patterns and challenge our attitudes can actually change our lives, causing less stress? We should be filled with an overwhelming sense of joy and gratitude when faced with moments that challenge us to grow and improve personally.


Friends, I challenge you to persevere and find the good within each moment.


“Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.” Hebrews 12:1-2

No comments:

Post a Comment